We announce with greatest pleasure the call for chapters for an edited book on the topic “Social diversity and access to healthcare for minority groups in the context of hospital and clinical healthcare”.
Healthcare, understood as a medical space, is an excellent example of a public space that models the processes of social integration and social equity. In a general sense, healthcare can connect diverse groups of a society under the common idea of health and illness. However, depending on its organization, it can also influence societal segregation of minority groups.
The scope of the book will focus on the concept of diversity that includes aspects of ethnicity, religion, gender, and sexual orientation in the specific context of healthcare in hospitals and clinical institutions. The goal is to provide knowledge how access to healthcare for various minority groups is regulated in in statutes, internal documents, and guidelines of medical institutions, i.e. hospitals, clinics; and how it is implemented in medical practice. The contributions should focus on ethical, cultural, and normative aspects of integration and exclusion in context of hospital healthcare in Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, and Poland.
Authors in their contributions can focus on the following questions:
- Do specific guidelines regarding dealing with diversity in hospital practice exist in hospital and clinical statutes, internal documents, and accreditation chapters?
- To what degree and in what form such guidelines address the issue of social diversity in healthcare?
- How these guidelines are implemented in practice?
- To what degree European and national legal regulations on access to healthcare for minority groups are implemented in such guidelines?
- What is the role of Clinical Ethics Committees in this process?
Interested contributors are invited to submit their applications consisting of a scientific abstract of the proposed chapter (up to 500 words) as well as a short academic resumé (both in English) until 15th of June 2020 in electronic form (Word or PDF) by e-mail to the coordinator of the book, Prof. Dr. Mojca Ramšak (). After review of submitted abstracts by the editors, chosen authors will receive an invitation to provide their manuscripts for the book. The manuscripts are expected to be submitted until 1stof October 2020.
Guideline for manuscripts:
- Language of the manuscript: English
- Font: Times New Roman or Arial, 12pt
- Extent: 12 to 15 pages, including an abstract and references
- Specific stylesheet for publication will be provided to the invited authors
All manuscripts will undergo a peer-review process. The book will be published by Karl Alber Verlag (Freiburg) in the series “Applied ethics – Medicine”.